Sunday, October 12, 2008

Happy Sunday and World Egg Day!

Happy World Egg Day! It is also Dia de la Raza for our friends in Mexico (a place I have never been but would love to go) and Grandmother's Day...

As a devout Christian, I love Sundays. They are days of peace and happiness to me, a time to rest and reflect. If you are Jewish, Saturdays are probably your reflection days, or Fridays for our Muslim friends. Whichever day you pick, having a day to slow down and reflect is good thing.

I have not eaten any eggs today to celebrate, but I would like to say that my grandmothers, both paternal and maternal, were awesome women. My maternal grandmother was Rora Andersson, a very Swedish woman who had rosy cheeks and sang while she cooked up some wondrously good food. She was very pretty as a younger woman and very kind. I called her mormor, which is Swedish for mother's mother. She taught us to say grace in Swedish. In her later years, she took to being quite candid, so I always knew when I had a pound or two to lose! An unfailingly loving mother, her children still miss her a ton.

My dad's mom was Jean Douglas MacGregor Miller, who was a striking, elegant woman. She was on a serial soap on the radio when she was younger and always had a dashing flair about her. She and her husband, my farfar, were crazy about each other and had the type of marriage I am aspiring to have with my dear hubby. When he died, the biggest of piece of her withered away and she didn't last too long after.

Two strong women to celebrate. So celebrate your grandmothers today, and/or eat an egg. Baking cookies count, I am sure! Or omelets...

If you are from Mexico, celebrate the wonder and magic of your warm and giving culture.

Make it a great week! We all deserve it! Tomorrow is Columbus Day, which some of my South American friends do not celebrate, as Christopher Columbus was not seen as a hero to them. I plan on just being happy about the discovery process. For example, I may discover what it's like to eat a starfruit while standing on my head, or discover what doing 100 situps in a row will do to my abs.

Love Linus

No comments: